This is a little look at the range Sumikko Gurashi. Japan never ceases to amaze me with the ideas behind the characters they create. No they are not just toys, they are little characters often with personalities that you can relate to. They are lovable and make you really think about emotions, these characters are no exception.
San X launched these guys in September 2012, Sumikko Gurashi (すみっこぐらし), which roughly translates to “beings living in corners” They are mis fits, social outcasts and have been cast aside by society in a way. They all bundle in the corner for safety and security.
Top row: Shirokuma, Penguin?, Tonkatsu, Neko, Tapioca, and Zassou
Bottom row: Hokori, Furoshiki, & Nisetsumuri
- Shirokuma (しろくま): a runaway polar bear who doesn’t like the cold, that is a big issue for a polar bear
- Tonkatsu (とんかつ): the fried pork cutlet crumb. His character description states that he’s that last leftover piece of tonkatsu; he’s 1% meat, 99% fat. He is always left behind because of his fat content.
- Penguin? (“ぺんぎん？): an insecure green penguin questioning his identity, because he is green, he carries a cucumber as a friend as he can relate to this
- Neko (ねこ): a shy cat who scratches when nervous
- Tapioca (たぴおか): pearls of leftover boba, maybe left over whilst making tea, those bits at the bottom of the cup
- Zassou (ざっそう): an ambitious weed who dreams of being a bouquet, one day 😉
- Hokori (ほこり): a happy corner-inhabiting dust particle, who seems to be the happiest of the bunch with who he is
- Furoshiki (ふろしき): Shirokuma’s luggage cloth
- Nisetsumuri (にせつむり): a slug who pretends to be a snail by wearing a shell
I think every one in some way or another can relate to at least on of these little guys. I especially like Tonkatsu, and now every time I have pork, its always a pork cutlet and not a chop ^_^
CutesyKink has just started stocking these little cute characters and they are all desperate for a new corner to dwell or maybe even some love. They can be found in my kawaii section www.cutesykink.co.uk